Dangers at home
- Your home is a haven of peace for your kitten, but it can also have dangers. Ovens, washing machines, dryers, dishwashers and toilets are interesting but dangerous hiding places, so remember to keep them closed so your kitten cannot enter and accidentally be locked inside.
- Kittens like to play with sewing threads, hair bands, string etc., so you need to watch them carefully to ensure they do not swallow these sorts of items.
- Beware of balconies, as cats may fall off.
- Some plants and cut flowers are tempting, just waiting to be nibbled, but be aware that some are toxic to cats. Ask your veterinarian which plant species you should avoid.
Your kitten may suffer an injury: be hit by a car, bitten by a dog, or even fall out of a window. You should seek veterinary attention as soon as possible even if your kitten appears unharmed after an accident, as serious internal damage is still a possibility.
Being young, your kitten is especially susceptible to infectious diseases. Parasites, viruses or bacteria may cause disease in kittens and cats. Seek veterinary attention if you have any concerns about your kitten's health. Your veterinarian can also advise you on vaccination and parasite control.
Never leave any kind of poison within reach of your kitten. If they swallow any poison, do not wait for the first signs to set in; take them straight to the veterinarian. Don’t forget to take the box or packaging with you as knowledge of the active ingredient can help the veterinarian to select the most appropriate treatment. Be aware that some household plants, like lilies, can be toxic to kittens and cats. If you suspect your kitten has come into contact with any toxic plants, seek immediate veterinary attention.
Insect bites/stings may cause swelling and occasionally an allergic reaction. This may present as swelling of the paws or face. Take your kitten to the veterinarian, who may administer a treatment to help settle the allergic reaction. If you suspect your kitten has been bitten by a snake, do not try any treatments or tourniquets at home. Take them immediately to your vet for assessment as the venom can cause life threatening problems quickly.
Never let your kitten play with electric wires: biting them could cause electrocution. Wherever possible turn power off at the outlet. Electrocution can cause burns to the face, shock, breathing problems or even death. Take your kitten to the veterinarian as quickly as possible, even if they seem to be unaffected.
Do not leave your kitten in the car, especially in summer, as the temperature inside can rapidly reach dangerous levels, causing acute dehydration and possibly fatal heat-stroke. Signs of heat stroke may include meowing, losing balance and breathing quickly. It is best to take your cat straight to the veterinary clinic for treatment.